Wednesday, December 12, 2012

There is no place like home for the holidays

We are home, and Anya is doing wonderful. I know I keep talking about how pleasant she is with every post, but it cannot be overemphasized. She has so much energy, kicking her legs, she has been able to grab her feet a couple of times, she is always working on getting to them. She is cooing and verbalizing all the time and even when she fusses she has a half smile on her face. She has started smacking her lips when hungry; I tried offering the bottle to her a few days ago and she was not as resistant. I was planning on giving up the bottle and working on a cup, but now I think it is worth giving the bottle another shot. We have speech therapy at Children’s (groan) tomorrow so we will work on that then.

I'm gonna break out of here! Did I hear someone is sending me a steel file?!?

Anya has never been as snuggly as other babies. She never got used to being held early on so I think it can stress her out. Tonight she tolerated being laid on my shoulder, usually she fusses. Then she tolerated a bit of tummy time and held up her head. All of these new behaviors tell me a few things, first, this was percolating for a while, and second, Anya’s baseline personality is laid back. I have really been thinking she was just a fussier baby than Arwen, but now I can say with certainty that if she is fussy something is going on.

Tonight we watched Charlie Brown Christmas as a family, with the real Christmas tree lit up. I will get a real Christmas tree as long as I am physically able, the wonderful piney scent cannot be reproduced. Whenever we put up a tree I am five years old again. Anya sat on my lap staring in turn at the TV, the tree, and Adam and I. She was in a semi-reclined position and she held her head steady. Sitting there with the whole family together was incredible. Last year this time I was dreaming of that moment, and what has happened in the past year to make that dream possible…I am overwhelmed.

Merry Christmas everybody!
Arwen as Mary for her preschool's Christmas program.

No comments:

Post a Comment