Thursday, December 6, 2012

We love us some high flow oxygen again

This has been a really difficult 48 hours for us. Last night a cardiologist came to visit and discussed several issues that may be Anya’s problem. Her cardiac echo did not indicate that the only problem is pulmonary hypertension, so several other ideas were being thrown around. One of the ideas would indicate a cardiac cath was needed. I immediately voiced my concern about a cath unless it was really necessary. A cath would require Anya to be intubated again, and we have been told it would be difficult to get her off the vent if she was put on.

Last night my mind was reeling from all of the possible issues Anya could have when she was transferred to a stepdown unit after dinner. Shortly after midnight she started desatting and breathing hard and I brought it to the nurses’ attention. The resident was called as well as the quick response team and the decision was made to transfer her back to the PICU. One of the staff commented to me that it must be a difficult night for me; I commented that it was just what I was doing at home, only I didn’t have a rapid response team and a PICU to send her to. Usually she is not desatting to the point she was last night however.

She stabilized a bit overnight but still was having periods of breathing hard and desatting for no apparent reason. Dr. Najaf came and explained that they now believed Anya has some inflammation in her lungs, all the advanced life support she needed can cause problems with how the lungs work. Now the plan is to give her five days of steroids to clear that up, and wean her slowly back to a home-manageable amount of oxygen. She reassured me that this is nothing new, and should not affect her life long term. However, she is probably going to be in the hospital another week or more.

In addition to the steroids Anya was started on high flow oxygen, many of you may remember that is the same setup that Anya had after her c-pap in the NICU. It has made her much more comfortable, for the past 48hours she spent a lot of time desatting and recovering from desatting. Since the high flow was started she has had enough energy to be cute and play with her hands!

I finally came home tonight to sleep; I have been spending the night. I am praying that we finally have our finger on what is wrong and it can be resolved. I need as much patience and peace as I can get. Also trust, as I do not know all the people that are caring for Anya right now and it is difficult to let go!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment